Sunday, January 31, 2010

Learning from Nancy Crow


My goal for the Crow workshop was to get a kick start for 2010. After 3 months away from home and the studio, it was overwhelming to remember - how do I do this? Where do I start? What am I supposed to be thinking about? And of course, what makes me think I can do this - with any competency? Nancy taught us to start with a framework: 1. a motif, 2. a couple of variables set for the composition and color - and then, JUST DO IT.

Getting started is the hardest part - then the joy and struggle take over. At one point, I was frozen, feeling overwhelmed with the same thoughts I have in the studio. Nancy told the class - start putting things on the wall, NOW. Once I had some fabrics up on the wall, my anxiety abated, and I could work intuitively. A simple, but invaluable lesson. No more staring at a blank design wall and trying to think everything through. Pick a palette, have a general idea of the composition, and let it flow from there. I'm looking forward to a productive year.
My third workshop with Nancy, and another major growth experience. I'll be processing, and practicing, what I learned.

7 comments:

  1. Nancy is great at kicking, isn't she? Figuratively of course.
    She gives an approach, a way in. Then pushes for performance. I love her workshops for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a great motivator! I'd like to be able to get her feedback more often. People seem to either love her approach, or hate it. I've had trouble understanding what the goal was in some assignments, but now I trust the process enough to just go with whatever it is, and learn what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nancy's workshops... they are tremendously motivating and I always come away with something important even if the anxiety is sometimes pretty thick! I have signed up for her masterclass in October and have been worrying myself silly wondering if I will be able to cut it. But in the end- all that matters is if I learn something. BTW- I really like the motifs you did in her class. I took that last spring- but repetition drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, my understanding of the Master class is that you do your own work, with the opportunity to interact with Nancy. Your work speaks for itself - no worries, just growth potential.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I studied with Nancy I learned so much. The master class is a terrific opportunity as you say, Jeanne. I still 'hear' things Nancy said to me or to people around me, after an unbelievable number of years. I think you can always identify what it is you took away from working with a good teacher, but the lesser teachers sort of blur into a group of influences you can't assign to particular people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I "hear" Nancy's voice too, and find reviewing my notes from prior workshops to be very helpful. Nancy's books are an important learning tool as well - it's good to hear that someone who is so prolific and talented also faces anxiety at times. And I can study how she uses color, which is the element I love most about her work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeanne,
    I agree completely! I took a class with Nancy almost five years ago, and I can STILL hear her voice when, alone in my studio, the paralysis of anxiety hits! As Alison said, the "lesser" teachers blur together, but Nancy stands apart in her amazing talent and teaching ability.
    Your motifs are great, btw!

    ReplyDelete