Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New Series

I signed up for an online workshop with Lisa Call several weeks ago, and it's already been a fruitful endeavor. The workshop is on "Working in a Series", and Lisa is walking us through the steps of focusing on a subject, and setting design parameters.

Lisa is very tech savvy, so she has set up a website for the workshop, and we each have our own site and pages. It's pretty user friendly. I'm keeping a journal so I can keep track of my ideas, and all the things I've tried - whether they worked or not.

My series is going to focus on circles. I've been intrigued by all the possibilities there are in clamping circles as resists. The choices for dyeing in different hues and values seems to be - unlimited. But it's not! I will be learning about color and dye forever...

My initial thought was to use analogous colors and white, and to organize the circles as I would a family portrait. That was a way for me to get started on the design. I did stick with the colors - yellow, orange, red, and love the way white brightens up everything. Since my art training was in photography, it is still easier for me to think of looking through a viewfinder, and organizing the composition that way. Whatever works to make the design process a little less painful. I'm not sure this looks like a family portrait, but it helped me to figure out a way into the design.

I plan to design tops - and sew them together if I can. Since the assignments are due each week, and I dye my fabrics for each project, I know I may not get them sewn together. But if I photograph them, and pin them to a backing, I can finish them at the end of the 8 week workshop.

It's helped me to be better structured in my day - and in the studio or dyeing everyday. Lightens my mood, and stirs my juices. Worth the cost already!

Here is my first composition. The back ground is pieced, except for the middle seam. The rest is pinned. Can't wait to see where these circles lead me.
composition in progress 33" x 38"

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a great class! I really like your first composition! I hope you will continue to blog your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, can't wait to see where this series takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes me too. Just need to spend lots of time in the studio, seeing where I can go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanne,
    Love the colors and your thoughts on the process.

    ReplyDelete