The second assignment was supposed to build on the first (as in a series...get it?). I was hoping to do more with depth, by using different sizes and values, but screwed up in the dyeing. I forgot to write down the amount of dye I used for the darkest and largest circles(highest contrast) pieces, and ended up with the smaller circles being much darker. The opposite of my planned composition. So, I gave up on the idea of the large circles looking closer, and the smaller one in the background.
I really love blue and white, and I thought I would simplify my work by keeping the piece one color with white. I overdyed some very light batiks to see how that would look, and I actually liked it. The patterning of the batik is barely visible when seen from a distance, but up close, it gives it some interesting lines.
During the one on one phone call with Lisa, she emphasized that the series had to be something that I LOVED. I'm not loving this series, although I feel compelled to explore more. Lisa says that you may make 10 or more pieces in a series before you know where you're going with it. That has helped me to feel that I can keep going and just explore - and not to feel pressured to make only work that is worth exhibiting. None of the assignments are sewn together. If I sew them together, it will be with the commitment to quilt them as well. As a famous b-t-ch said "I'll think about that tomorrow"!