Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stimulation

I like to title things that make you click on them! The stimulation I am referring to is the experience of being with other artists, hearing about Art, looking at Art, discussing our work - soaking up the experience of being with other people focused on expressing themselves through Art.

 It's a rare experience for me, because I live in a small town and don't get out much. Probably my own fault for not reaching out more in the community. I have started a critique group, and that is very exciting.
The recent Studio Art Quilt Association conference in Denver was well done, with interesting and helpful workshops, and lots of networking going on. It's a real buzz to be in a room with almost 200 other women (only a few male spouses attended), and know we're all thrilled to be immersing ourselves for a few days in Art Quilts. NOT literally - these are wall art, not bed quilts, in case you didn't know that. Here are a few for you viewing pleasure - we couldn't see the titles or names, but I'm pretty sure I have the right artists for these-

Sue Cavanagh

Terri Stegmiller

I'm pretty sure this is by Cathy Kleeman.
This is the 3rd SAQA conference I have attended, and each time I get more out of the time spent. And, I've made some friends who are really adventurous and fun to be with - we laugh for hours! I took a few photo's of the SAQA trunk show.  These are small pieces that will travel to regions all over the country, and some to other countries, so SAQA members can see all the possibilities of cloth, thread, paint, dye, beads, stitching, found objects and every possible combination.

If you're looking for a place to explore the artist in you, and like fabric, SAQA is a great organization to help you grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment