Monday, September 26, 2011

Series Assignment #3

The series workshop with Lisa Call is completed, and it helped me get into a better, more disciplined studio practice. I worked so hard that I didn't have time to blog - that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.


One of the choices for the design exercise was to turn multiple shapes into one shape. I dyed circles into a large radiating circle. The week ran out before I really felt that I had a developed composition.
The dyed circles felt too flat without an addition to them, so I tried red first - complementary colors usually add zing.
1st try at composition #3
I really liked the way the red popped, but it felt like the red fabric was too flat. A switch to a more subtle and mottled dyed fabric seemed to work better.  I still don't feel like I have a completed composition, but I'll get back to it soon.
unfinished composition for assignment #3 about 36" square
The composition feels too symmetrical, so I plan to make it less so in the next iteration. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment