Monday, April 26, 2010

ECG - More Than Skin Deep







An exhibit on Racism has been organized, and I've finished my piece, and am posting it. I titled it "More Than Skin Deep". I wanted to express the kernel of the idea of racism - that our skin color defines our intelligence, capabilities, and humanity. Instead, the fact that under our skin, we all have the same blood, organs, needs and dreams, is represented by an ECG line. To define someone by their skin color or culture is to see such only a part of the whole person.

The ECG represents the line of a normal heart. When we look beyond skin deep we see the person inside - and although we are all shaped by our families, cultures, ethnicity, environment and country, we are more than any one of those things - we are all human and we must learn to see that first when we see each other.

If we could all look within for the good in each other, imagine how it would change the world. We can start by doing it with our children, siblings, parents, partners and friends - and then expand it to everyone we meet.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! I hope your statement will accompany this quilt and I hope everyone stops to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, I really like your concept and how you turned it into visual reality. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete